What are the Pros and Cons of Cosmetic Surgery?
Cosmetic surgery, as can be understood from the name, is a particular type of surgery that focuses on the beautification of the face, and other parts of the body. It is a voluntary treatment procedure opted by individuals who are not happy with their facial or bodily appearance. Cosmetic surgery can be used in different cases such as facial skin laxity, abnormal fat deposits, wrinkles, and several others. The procedure should be carried out with immense caution by an experienced cosmetic surgeon. Moreover, the users opting for the same should have a clear idea about the pros and cons of cosmetic surgery.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
What is Cosmetic Surgery?
Cosmetic surgery is a specialised discipline of surgery focusing on the enhancement of appearance with the help of surgical as well as medical techniques. Almost all areas of face, body, breasts and back come under the scope of this surgery. Cosmetic surgery is an elective or voluntary procedure since the areas of treatment function properly but is lacking in the aesthetic appeal. But before opting for the surgery, it becomes quite important on the part of the users to understand the advantages and disadvantages of cosmetic surgery.
There are many who use the terms plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery interchangeably. But cosmetic surgery should not be confused with plastic surgery since they are different from each other. Plastic surgery refers to the surgical speciality that is dedicated to the reconstruction of facial as well as bodily defects as a result of birth disorders, diseases, burns, and trauma. The intention of plastic surgery is to correct the bodys dysfunctional areas and is completely reconstructive in nature. Thus, it is not only important to know about the difference between cosmetic & plastic surgery but also be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of cosmetic surgery.
Procedures that Come Under Cosmetic Surgery
As we all know that cosmetic surgery can be performed on different parts of the body, there is a wide array of procedures that come under cosmetic surgery. When you plan to go for it, you should consult an expert who would explain the risks and benefits of cosmetic surgery. To make it easier to understand, we have listed some of the major procedures that fall under the umbrella of cosmetic surgery.
- Botox: Botox injections are helpful in reducing facial wrinkles. It is an extremely effective anti-ageing treatment playing a significant role in reducing the signs of ageing.
- Body contouring: Body contouring is a procedure or a combination of procedures to improve the aesthetic appearance of the human body. It includes the following important procedures:
- Blepharoplasty or Eyelid Surgery: It is a surgery that helps in repairing droopy eyelids involving the removal of excess fat, skin, and muscle as per the requirements. Eyelid surgery not only gives a younger look but also helps in restoring side vision.
- Eyebrow Rejuvenation/Forehead Rejuvenation or Brow Lift: Brow lift is also referred to as forehead lift or forehead rejuvenation. It is a cosmetic procedure for lifting the brows to enhance the appearance along with boosting self-confidence.
- Neck Lift: This cosmetic procedure helps in getting rid of unwanted fat and skin around the jawline, thereby helping to create a neck that appears youthful with a more defined look. It is recommended to identify the advantages and disadvantages of cosmetic surgery before opting for any procedure.
- Rhinoplasty or Nose Surgery: Nose surgery helps to change the shape of the nose with the aim of changing the appearance of the nose, bringing about an improvement in breathing, or both.
- Otoplasty or Ear Surgery: It is a cosmetic surgery that helps in changing the size, shape, and the position of ears as per the requirements.
- Dermabrasion: The procedure involves resurfacing of the skin for making it smoother, decreasing the appearance of fine lines, and improving the overall look of the skin.
In addition to the above, there are a number of other procedures that come under cosmetic surgery like, hair fall treatments, PRP therapy, laser hair removal, scar revision, facial fillers, facial contouring, facial rejuvenation and many more. Before opting for any of the procedures, it is necessary to know about the pros and cons of cosmetic surgery for better preparation.
Pros and Cons of Cosmetic Surgery
To make it easier for you to understand whether opting for the surgery would be a good idea or not, here we have listed a few of the significant pros and cons of cosmetic surgery.
- Readily enhances the overall appearance
- Boosts up self-confidence as a result of improved appearance
- Results are permanent which is immensely beneficial
- Cosmetic surgery is easily accessible, therefore convenient to opt for
- The costs of cosmetic surgical procedures are relatively high because of the many factors.
- There might be some risks involved during the procedure.
- Does not always meet the expectations of every patient
- Time for recovery after surgery might be long or unfavourable
After reading through, one can get a clear idea about the advantages and disadvantages of cosmetic surgery to make an informed choice.
At Dr Ritesh Anand Clinic, one can be assured of getting the premium quality treatment, that too at a price that well suits the pocket. The clinic makes use of all the latest tools and technologies, along with modern infrastructure for offering the best results to the users. Moreover, Dr Ritesh Anand always educates the individuals about the pros and cons of cosmetic surgery before proceeding with the same.