Tummy Tuck Surgery – Frequently Asked Questions
A tummy tuck surgery is a cosmetic surgical procedure to improve the appearance of the abdomen.Tummy Tuck surgery is also known as abdominoplasty. During a tummy tuck surgery excess skin and fat are removed from the abdomen. Connective tissue in the abdomen (fascia)usually is tightened with sutures as well. The residual skin is then repositioned to create a more toned look.
Anyone can choose to have a tummy tuck if she has excess fat or skin around the area of bellybutton or a weak lower abdominal wall. A tummy tuck surgery can also boost body image.
Preparing for Tummy Tuck - Before a tummy tuck patient might also need to follow the following:
- Stop Smoking - Smoking reduces blood flow in the skin and can slowdown the healing process. In addition, the risk of tissue damage is also increased due to smoking. Doctor will recommend stopping smoking before surgery and during recovery.
- Avoid Certain Medications - The prospective candidate seeking tummy tuck will likely need to avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements, which can increase bleeding.
- Maintain a Stable Weight - Ideally, the prospective candidate seeking tummy tuck will have to maintain a stable weight for at least 12 months before having a tummy tuck. If the patient is severely overweight, doctor will recommend losing weight before the procedure. Significant weight loss after the procedure can lessenthe results.
- Take Medication to Prevent Complications - Shortly before tummy tuck, patient will need to begin taking an anticoagulant to prevent blood clotting.
What are the steps of a tummy tuck procedure?
Though the procedure of tummy tuck surgery will be customised to address each patient’s unique needs and goals, abdominoplasty generally involves the tightening of abdominal muscles, excision of the excess skin, and the removal of fat through liposuction. During a full tummy tuck surgery, an incision will typically be made low on the abdomen, extending from one hip to the other. Similarly, the incision for a mini tummy tuck will be concealed low on the abdomen, though it is often a bit shorter in length. Depending on the extent of work involved and the technique used, the operation generally takes approximately two to four hours to complete.
Risks and Costs of TreatmentHair transplant is a surgical procedure so there are some risks associated with it including
- Fluid accumulation beneath the skin (seroma) - Drainage tubes kept after surgery helps reducing the risk of excess fluid. Doctor may also remove the fluid after surgery using a needle and syringe.
- Poor Wound Healing - Sometimes areas along the incision line heal poorly or begin to disperse. Patient might be given antibiotics during and after surgery to prevent an infection.
- Unexpected Scarring - The incision scar from a tummy tuck surgery is permanent but is placed properly along the easily hidden bikini line. The visibility and length of the scar varies from person to person.
- Tissue Damage or Death - During a tummy tuck, fatty tissue deep within the skin in the abdominal area might get damaged or die. Smoking increases this risk. Depending on the size of the area for the tummy tuck, tissue might heal on its own or require a surgical touch-up procedure.
- Changes in Skin Sensation - During tummy tuck surgery, the repositioning of abdominal tissues can affect the nerves in the abdominal area, and rarely, in the upper thighs. Patient will likely feel some reduced sensation or numbness. This usually reduces after the procedure in the months.
Cost of hair transplant
Just like any other major surgery, a tummy tuck poses a risk of bleeding, infection and an adverse reaction to anaesthesia.
What is the price for tummy tuck surgery?
The average cost of a tummy tuck is INR 5,00,000. The price of tummy tuck surgery depends on surgeons fee. Surgeons fee for tummy tuck surgery will be based on his or her experience, the type of procedure used and the geographic office location. It is worth remembering that most health insurance plans do not cover tummy tuck surgery or its complications, but many plastic surgeons offer patient financing plans, so be sure to ask.
Is a tummy tuck major surgery?
An abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is a major surgery that removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen.
How painful is a tummy tuck recovery?
Recovering from tummy tuck – Well, the answer depends on several factors and to what level of recovery patient is thinking about. After tummy tuck surgery, drain tubes are left in place for about a week. Most of the patients experience some bruising and/or swelling, though these symptoms should decrease over the course of a few weeks. If patient don’t need the muscles to be repaired, it is likely that recovery is going to be easier and quicker. Most patients having a full tummy tuck i.e. with muscle repair find that they are normally able to drive a car within a week, depending on the pain level of the patient. Many patients can work remotely from home and found that they are able to log on to their computers, answer emails, or even have a conference call after only a few days, although they won’t feel like going in to work for maybe 2-3 weeks after surgery. Light exercises for e.g. slow walk or gently peddling on a stationary bike can also be started by this time as well. After 6 to 8 weeks, most patients would consider themselves fully or nearly fully recovered, although it is worth mentioning that the nerves will continue to heal, the scar will continue to fade, and the swelling will continue to go down in several months.
After abdominoplasty, Mild to moderate discomfort is possible, but pain can often be managed and even alleviated with medication.